The Genesis Prize is an annual one-million-dollar award that honors laureates who demonstrate outstanding excellence in their professional fields and who have attained international renown not only for their professional success, but also by virtue of their positive contributions to humankind. In addition, the laureate serves as a role model for Jews worldwide through a connection and commitment to their Jewish identity, Jewish values, the international Jewish community and/or the State of Israel.
Laureates are nominated through an invitation only process by prominent leaders of world-renowned institutions including universities, foundations, corporations, and Jewish organizations as well as influencers in several professional fields such as art, literature, science, technology and music.
The list of nominees, narrowed down in consultation with the Chair of the Selection Committee, is submitted to the Selection Committee. The Selection Committee evaluates the candidates, selects those who best fit the criteria for the Prize, and presents this list to the Prize Committee. It is the responsibility of the Prize Committee to consider the candidates on the short list and select the Genesis Prize Laureate.
The Selection and Prize Committees are comprised of Jewish leaders from Israel and the Diaspora, and include representatives of the three governing bodies who, in partnership, award the Genesis Prize – the Jewish Agency for Israel, the Office of the Prime Minister of Israel and The Genesis Prize Foundation.
The Selection Committee is chaired by the Chairman of the Executive of the Jewish Agency for Israel Isaac Herzog and includes the following individuals among its members:
- David Hatchwell Altaras, Chair of EXCEM Grupo and President of the Jewish Community of Madrid
- Fiamma Nirenstein, Former Member of the Italian Parliament and current Journalist and Author
- Andrés Spokoiny, President and CEO of the Jewish Funders Network
- Jack Rosen, CEO of Rosen Partners, President of American Jewish Congress, and Chair of the American Council for World Jewry
- Yoav Horowitz, Director General, Office of the Prime Minister of Israel
- Shlomit Barnea Farago, Legal Adviser and Manager of the Legal Department, Office of the Prime Minister of Israel
- Peter Aven, Co-founder, The Genesis Prize Foundation and Chair of the Board of Directors, ABH Holdings S.A.
The Prize Committee is chaired by Speaker of the Knesset of Israel Yuli-Yoel Edelstein and includes the following individuals among its members:
- President Meir Shamgar, former president of the Israeli Supreme Court
- Justice Tova Strasberg-Cohen, former justice of the Israeli Supreme Court
- Dr. Lawrence Summers, Professor and President Emeritus of Harvard University
- Jill Smith, Senior Advisor to the Chairman of The Genesis Prize Foundation and Chair of the Jewish Foundation for Education of Women
To read more about our committee members, please click here.
The selection of the Genesis Prize Laureate is a multi-step process that ultimately relies upon the thoughtful nominations submitted by the Jewish and international community. Nominations are open for the 2019 Genesis Prize Laureate. To submit a nomination, please click here.